We are no stranger to treating strangers. Being a dental office in a beautiful beach community means always being ready to treat a dental emergency. We are proud of our ability to treat folks who are only in St. Petersburg for a short time. And if you have an emergency, we will provide you high-quality, same-day care.
Some emergencies can’t be prevented. Accidents, injuries, failed dental work from another doctor – it happens. But sometimes your dental problems become a crisis due to a lack of prevention. Practicing good oral hygiene, including visits to Jeffery A. Spilman DDS for exams and cleanings, can go a long way toward warding off pain.
Protect your whole family from dental distress by heeding the following advice.
Do Your Part in Prevention
Building a routine of good dental habits is the best way to prevent tooth decay. Brushing, flossing, rinsing, and visiting the dentist are essential to your smile’s success.
- Do you brush your teeth twice per day, every day? More importantly, do you brush your teeth correctly twice a day? Make sure you are using short strokes and covering the surface of every tooth, even the hard to reach ones.
- You absolutely must not skip flossing. It’s important to floss correctly in order to keep your teeth and gums healthy. We understand that 90% of people hate flossing, but it is non-negotiable.
- For a more fun, less messy way to floss, we recommend shower floss. Just as effective as traditional flossing, shower flossing shoots a stream of water between your teeth and gumline. Mount the shower flosser to your showerhead and think of it as your own at-home oral irrigator, just like we use in our office.
- We recommend an alcohol-free mouthwash to freshen your breath while killing decay-causing bacteria.
- Hydration isn’t just for your body. Drink lots of water to ward off bad breath and enamel-eroding acid.
- Schedule and honor regular dental appointments for exams and cleanings.
Trust Us to Do Our Part
We know you could go to any dentist for your exams and cleanings, so we hold your trust in high regard. When you do your part by visiting Jeffery A. Spilman DDS, we will meet you more than halfway by doing a thorough job.
- Dr. Spilman will inspect your teeth, gum tissue, bite, and more. He will be able to spot signs of weakness or oral cancer. If we do detect oral cancer, we will refer you to a trusted specialist.
- Our team will then remove traces of plaque and tartar that have built up on your teeth. Regular visits allow us to do this before they begin wearing away at your enamel.
- Your smile will shine from a polish, but more importantly, it will be too slick for bacteria.
- To boost your mouth’s defenses against decay, we will finish off with a fluoride rinse. Fluoride can actually reverse early decay while preventing future corrosion!
If you need a stronger fluoride treatment, we can paint a fluoride varnish directly onto your teeth. It creates a barrier between your teeth and decay-causing plaque. This process can be repeated a few times a year.
One of the greatest tools for decay prevention is barrier technology. In addition to fluoride varnish, we also offer dental sealants. A one-time application of this plastic material can work wonders for preventing bacteria from settling into the grooves atop your molars.
Keep Your Family Healthy and Safe
Preventing dental emergencies is not just financially responsible – it is also what’s best for your family. Tooth decay can cause inflammation of the nerves, which is often tremendously painful. And no one wants to miss a day at the beach because they had to come in for a root canal and crown.
Oral health is deeply tied to your general health. Your eyes may be the window to your soul, but your mouth is the window to your body. Everything from processing proper nutrition to signifying serious conditions starts with your smile.
In some cases, bacteria from your mouth can spread to other parts of your body. It’s also true that some diseases share certain risk factors with periodontal disease. Taking care of your gums and teeth is part of taking care of the rest of your body.
Keep your family healthy and safe by calling Jeffery A. Spilman DDS at 727-645-4727 to schedule their exams and cleanings today. And if you do have an unavoidable emergency, we’ll be there.